Ah, Mondays. If you’re anything like me, you probably haven’t planned dinner for the night, even by the time the afternoon rolls around – and you especially haven’t planned what you’ll be eating on the other nights of the week! But let’s get Monday out of the way first. Luckily, here at Comfort, we have a delicious Monday recipe for you. This Monday meal recipe contains yummy ingredients and the best part is that it’s quick and easy to make, even in that frazzled Monday state-of-mind.
Here’s how to whip up a delicious Broccoli Cheese and Chicken Pan dinner.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
- 2 Tbsp. of olive oil
- About 500g of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of chopped red or yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced and finely chopped
- 1 cup of jasmine rice (you can also use regular rice for this)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 5 cups of chopped broccoli florets
- ½ tsp. of paprika
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (if too hot for your little ones, you can choose another flavoursome spice for added flavour)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar (or any cheese that you and the family love)
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan or skillet for about a minute on medium/high heat.
- Season the chicken with your preferred amount of salt and pepper and then add to the hot pan.
- Cook the chicken cubes for about five minutes, turning each piece only once.
- Once the five minutes are up, remove the cubes from the pan and place them to the side.
- Reduce the pan’s heat to low and add in the chopped onion. Sauté for about three minutes, then cook for a further minute after adding in the minced garlic.
- Add the raw rice to the pan, letting it toast for a minute or two in the fragrant garlic and onion mixture.
- Mix your chicken stock cube with a cup of hot water and add into the pan.
- Put a lid or cover on the pan and allow the rice mixture to simmer for about fifteen minutes.
- When the rice has been cooking for eight minutes, add in the broccoli. Cover again.
- When the fifteen minutes are up, add in the salt, pepper, red pepper and paprika to taste.
- Now it’s time for the fun part – sprinkle as much cheese as you like on top of the pan’s mixture. Put the lid back on so that the cheese can melt.
- Once melted, stir the cheese well into the dish and serve immediately when warm and scrumptious!
This is a great dish for little ones - they’re getting a healthy veggie intake in the form of broccoli and they are tricked into loving it because of the melted cheese and flavoursome chicken. My kids love chicken, and this dish is a wonderful way in which to throw it together with some other ingredients.
I hope that you enjoy this delicious Monday meal. Now with your tummies full and Monday down, you are one step closer to the weekend.